Spring is Here!
The weeks leading up to summer in northern Minnesota are a magical time. Leaves return to the trees, grass grows back green and lush, migratory birds make their arrival, and the excitement of the upcoming lake season is contagious. It is within this delicate timeframe that the first cry of the loon is heard, the first bonfires crackle, the docks and boats find their rightful homes, the cabins opened up for the year. Winter is long gone, and warm, summer nights filled with lake breezes, s'mores, and fireflies are ahead. The snowbirds (and year-round) Wymer Lake residents wait all year for Memorial Weekend; the three-day weekend is a rite of passage and the official kick-off to summer. Look for pontoons and fishing boats to make the rounds; loons, ospreys, and eagles on the hunt; and the most incredible sunsets you've ever seen, illuminating the evening sky.
Five Things to do around Frazee
1. Hunt down the Roadside Attractions! Frazee is known as the home of the World's Largest Turkey, but how many other quirky things can you find? Head into town and search out the Big Turkey (Big Tom), the lesser-known "Little Tom" statue, the metal moose, the elk, the world's only "bridge-over-a-bridge-over-a-river," or the site of the original sawmill on the Ottertail River.
2. Ketter's Meat Market: Dating back almost 100 years, Ketter's Meats in Frazee is one of the best hidden gems in northwestern Minnesota. Their turkey jerky is legendary, their brats and "Ketter dogs" are irresistible, and their beef sticks will have you heading back time and again. You will even want to bring some back home after your stay at Karinall. You can also grab plenty of other goodies like hamburgers, steaks, local cheeses, deli meats, and fish/seafood. Trust us.
3. Local Parks - Frazee is home to some great parks with plenty of green space and water access. The "Lions' Park," home of the World's Largest Turkey, is a beautiful hilltop park with steps down to the rapids of the Otter Tail River. Head west on Main Street to find the "Goose Pond," or the sandy beach and fishing pier of "Town Lake Park." In winter months you'll find cross-country skiing, snowmobile, and dogsledding trails on the outskirts of town.
4. Local Shopping - A trip into Frazee isn't complete without exploring the downtown shops. You'll want to check out the Backyard Station, Chic Shed Junque Boutique, Seip Drug, and of course Ketter's. You'll also find hair salons, a hardware store, liquor store, cafe, convenience store, and the Third Crossing Bar and Grill for any other needs you may have.
5. Golf - The golf courses around Detroit Lakes might get all of the press, but Frazee's courses Maple Hills and the Frazee Golf Course are true diamonds in the rough. You'll love Frazee Golf Course's signature dogleg holes and wooded scenery, and don't miss Maple Hills' aqua driving range. Prices are incredibly reasonable!
Detroit Lakes Street Faire is here!
One of Detroit Lakes' most beloved annual events is officially underway. It's the Street Faire at the Lakes! The Street Faire features two days of Arts, Crafts, Music and Food. The event takes place downtown Detroit Lakes, primarily on Washington Ave and its side streets. The event features dozens of local artisan vendors, local food trucks (make sure to find the "Oof Da Tacos" truck!), and different styles of live music going on all weekend. Other highlights include kids' events/games, Lake Shirts Beach Shop's "tent sale" (you will not want to miss this one!)the Northern Lights Trolley giving rides around town, and a juried Art Show (first annual!). The weather is looking incredible this year. Check it out, Friday, 5/31 10AM-7PM, and Saturday, 6/1 10AM-5PM. See you there!
Frazee's Citywide Garage Sale and Crazee Days Weekend!
This weekend, Friday June 7th and Saturday, June 8th 2019, marks Frazee's annual Citywide Garage Sale and Crazee Days weekend! Dozens of homes within the city limits and in rural areas roll out the hidden treasures on tables in their garages, driveways, yards, and sidewalks! Pick up a copy of the local newspaper, the Frazee-Vergas Forum, at All-in-All Convenience Store in Frazee for an official list of the participants. The detailed map includes a comprehensive listing of the homes, their addresses, and what kind of items are for sale (the homes around Eagle Lake are our favorites!). You will be amazed at what you will find! Also make sure to swing into town where local businesses will be joining in the fun. Ketter's Meats will be grilling hot dogs out front of their store, All-in-All, Frazee Family Foods, Chic Shed, and the Backyard Station will all be having Crazee Days deals. And don't miss the Frazee Rescue/EMT's annual Pancake Feed and Silent Auction on Sunday, June 9th at the Frazee Rescue Garage from 8AM-Noon. This is a free-will donation event.
Ten Amazing Dining Options in the Area!
Although a visit to Karinall will likely involve your own cooking or grilling at the estate overlooking Wymer Lake, you may want to enjoy a night out for supper or a breakfast/lunch option at a cafe. The Frazee area is loaded with great restaurants, and here are ten classics you can't go wrong with.
10. Hotel Shoreham, Detroit Lakes - It's hard to determine which of the following makes Shoreham so likeable; it could be the eclectic clientele, everything from lake cabin guests from Fargo or Minneapolis to college age kids out on the town, the divey little restaurant with Sioux hockey gear and old advertising on the walls, or its famous pizza and walleye entrees. Guests love the outdoor bar and seating area, especially when the live music fires up in the evening.
9. Hub 41, Detroit Lakes - Hub 41, a relative newcomer on the scene, opened in the summer of 2017 on the busy DL strip, right across from the Detroit Lakes Pavilion. It features an eclectic menu with apps like falafel, sushi, tater tots and scotch eggs, along with burgers, sandwiches, craft beer and cocktails. It's hard to beat the people-watching from their outdoor patio, steps away from the DL Marina on a hot summer afternoon.
8. Long Bridge, Detroit Lakes - After an extensive remodel in 2018, the "Bridge," on the south side of Detroit Lake, may have the best views you can find anywhere in DL. Featuring an Island-themed two-level patio set-up, a full marina with boat parking and gas, happy hour specials and live music, Long Bridge has long been a Detroit Lakes hotspot. Family friendly (a playground for the kids!), casual, and buzzing with sunburnt tourists, make Long Bridge a destination for a fun night out.
7. El Loro, Detroit Lakes - Set inside a former fancy restaurant on the shores of Detroit Lake, the "El Loro" chain, popular in the Twin Cities, is a great place to get some authentic, reasonably prices Mexican food in a relaxed, fun atmosphere. The largest menu (and margaritas!) in town, El Loro is a fantastic place to bring the group for tacos, chimis, and fajitas to start.
6. Palace Cafe, Frazee - In the mood for a classic, small-town breakfast? Head right into Frazee and order up some diner grub at the Palace, Frazee's oldest restaurant. You'll see locals enjoying coffee and pie, tourists eating eggs, bacon, pancakes, burgers, and fries, all set in a cozy little diner adorned with historic black-and-white pictures of the town's history on the walls.
5. Spitfire, Detroit Lakes - The iconic Fargo eatery recently expanded to a Detroit Lakes location in the old Speak Easy building near Holiday Inn on Detroit Lake. Spitfire, known for its wood-fired chicken, beef, and chops is a great option for a date night or meal with the family. Their remodeled location features one of the best outdoor patios in the area.
4. Brew, Perham - Perham's go-to brewpub is always hopping with locals and out-of-towners wanting a hand-crafted burger with housemade kettle chips, along with a great selection of rotating craft beer list and signature cocktails. It's casual, cozy, and a great place for a night out with the crew. The game is always on tv and the servers will help you pick out that perfect style of beer for your taste.
3. Billy's Corner Bar, Vergas - Billy's in Vergas has been a mainstay since the 1950's, beckoning bikers, lake tourists, and locals in the summer, ice-fishermen and snowmobilers in the winter, and everyone everywhere in between. The storied Vergas dive bar features cold beer, 1/2 pound burgers, live music, trivia and bingo nights, and fun, small-town staff and guests alike. It's come-as-you-are, and you'll leave full and happy.
2. Zorbaz - Detroit Lakes, Perham - The classic no-frills Minnesota-lakes pizza franchise Zorbaz is a must-do while in lakes area. The two closest locations to Frazee (each is about a 10 minute drive) feature a laid-back, quirky, casual dining experience at the funkiest place around. Zorbaz specializes in unique takes on pizza and Mexican food, craft beer and cocktails, and lakeside dining. Grab a margarita and an order of their Macho Nachoz at a table overlooking the water, watching boats come in and out all day (and well into the night!)
1. Spanky's, Rose Lake, Vergas - Less than a five-minute drive from Karinall is one of the lakes area's best kept secrets. Spanky's Stone Hearth, overlooking the beautiful Rose Lake between Frazee and Vergas is a "casual fine dining" experience where owner Josh Hanson creates some of the best food around, period. Known for its steaks, walleye, daily specials you won't find anywhere else, and the best beer cheese soup you'll ever have, Spanky's always draws a crowd on warm, summer nights. Try a Moscow Mule, Martini, or the bartender's special, the "Matthew" to complement your dinner. You'll love it.
Perham Turtle Fest is this upcoming weekend!
Perham, MN, only about 10 minutes away from Karinall Estates, is holding their annual town festival, Turtle Fest, the weekend of June 12-16, 2019! As far as town festivals go, Perham's is one of the best around here! As with many small town summer festivals, visitors can enjoy all the typical staples like a pancake feed, a street vendor fair, parade, a 5K and 10K run, live music and beer gardens, raffles, and local food vendors. What makes Perham's Turtle Fest especially unique are things like Trolley Rides, a $500 medallion hunt, and Perham's legendary Turtle Races! All summer, Perham hosts Turtle Races right in a small park on Main Street. The races this year will be Weds, 6/12 and Friday, 6/14 at 10AM. Kids love picking out a turtle and cheering their racers on as they scramble their way out of the center circle to the outer ring! Turtle Fest will include a bean bag tournament, a hog roast, and nightly live music from some of the area's hottest acts like 32 Below, Redline, and the Cropdusters. Bring the family and explore Perham! Check out perham.com/turtlefest for more details.
Cruise DL - Classic Car Show Each Month!
Another interesting thing to check out near Karinall is Detroit Lake's monthy "Cruise DL" night. The second Wednesday evening of each month (June 12th, July 11th, August 14th and Sep 11th), from 4:30pm-8:00pm, to admire, show off, and discuss their vintage autos, while local businesses offer deals on food and drink. You'll see many different vehicles from different eras, each with their own story and characteristics. If you're looking for something different, plan your trip to Karinall during one of these nights and re-live the glory days of fast cars and freedom. No charge!
Is There Anything Better Than Summer at the Lake??
It's late June; school's out, the vacations have begun, the lake water is nice and warm. Trees are in full bloom, grass is as green as it will be all year. Is there truly a better time in Minnesota? We wait all year for summer. It's finally here at Karinall. Guests have been enjoying the paddleboards, kayaks, and paddleboat. Fishing is at its prime. The lake is perfect for jumping in for a swim. Enjoy a sunset pontoon cruise around the beautiful and storied Wymer Lake with its unique homes, smiling faces, and natural beauty. Leave all that stress of citylife behind as you hear the loons calling, feel the warm breeze off the lake, and watch the sunset each night from one of the best views on the lake. We wait all year for this. Come enjoy the best part of living in Minnesota.
6.28.19 Just Another Beautiful Summer Night
As we head further into summer (is it almost July already?!), the weather in Northern Minnesota reaches its pinnacle, with 80+ degree days and nights into the 60's. Could it be any better? We think not. The lake is at its optimal temperature for a swim, kayak ride, paddleboat cruise, or splash on the lily pad. This picture of Karinall Estate, as viewed from the pontoon, perfectly captures the aesthetic that defines summer on Wymer Lake. We can't wait for you to visit the storybook home that our guests recently referred to as "one of the best hidden gems in Minnesota." See you soon.
7.1.2019 July 4th Week is Here!
Can you believe June is already gone?! Summer always seems to fly by so fast. Luckily, the month of July is a big one in lakes country, with the Fourth of July celebration kicking it all off! You'll have plenty of options to celebrate here at Karinall Estate. Detroit Lakes, ten minutes away, is consistently voted as one of Minnesota's best Fourth of July destinations. The city shuts down the whole mile-long strip of public beach to vehicle traffic so visitors are free to meander the street, with its restaurants and live music, before picking out a spot to watch one of the state's best fireworks displays. Or, relax at Wymer Lake where you can see several other town's fireworks off in the distance! The weather looks great. We can't wait to celebrate!
7.18.2019 Bash On the Beach in Detroit Lakes This Weekend!
As the 10-day Detroit Lakes Water Carnival Festival goes on, this weekend is host to some extra-special events. Both Friday and Saturday night, Detroit Lakes will offer a concert series right on the iconic Detroit Lakes Public Beach. Friday Night the acts include the legendary 80's themed band Hairball followed by One: A Metallica Tribute, and Saturday's lineup features 90's rock bands Smash Mouth and Eve 6! More details can be found here. And Sunday, the Water Carnival culminates with a pancake feed, a parade, and a waterski show. The weekend will include dozens of other events like a sandcastle contest, bean bag tournament, and a classic car show. Full list of events here.
7.5.2019 Music on the Mountain is This Weekend!
Each Summer, Detroit Lakes hosts several exciting concert series around town, and one of the newer ones on the scene is Music on the Mountain. Detroit Mountain, a ski hill in winter (and mountain biking course in the summer), opens its doors for an outdoor concert once a summer. The ski area, once a popular attraction, had closed its doors for about 15 years before getting a massive overhaul and grand re-opening in 2015. This year, it takes place on Saturday, 7-6-19, and the featured performer is country hitmaker Cole Swindell. The mountain shuttles guests in from the nearby tech school parking lot as parking is limited, and once you're there, you'll find beer/liquor and food vendors, beautiful views overlooking Detroit Lakes, and the chairlifts are operating for rides up and down the mountain for even more breathtaking views of the area. The outdoor setting for the concert is incredible, and the venue is just intimate enough to not feel overly crowded. See you there!
7.8.2019 Shady Hollow Flea Market
One of the best treasure-hunting experiences in Minnesota, Shady Hollow Flea Market just south of Detroit Lakes is a seasonal flea market, with up to 100 vendors and a full-service food court. The market has operated every summer since 1969, open on weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You'll find everything here from locally crafted goods, vintage antiques, rustic style decor and even produce. It's a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon perusing 3.5+ acres of hidden treasures galore. Shady Hollow is found on Highway 59, about 5 miles south of Detroit Lakes. Happy Hunting!
7.11.2019 Detroit Lakes Water Carnival!
Starting this Friday, July 12th, and running through July 21st, Detroit Lakes begins its annual summer festival, the Detroit Lakes Water Carnival.The ten-day celebration begins this weekend with a kick-off party featuring live music at DL's Lakeside Tavern. Events run all week, including a Miss Northwest pageant, a demo derby, a sandcastle contest, hula hoop contest, farmers market, parade, water fights, a waterski show, and even helicopter tour rides. Each day has a full schedule of events, music, and fun for the whole family. The second weekend culminates with the annual "Bash on the Beach," a beachside two-night concert series, followed by a parade and waterski show on Sunday.
Our guests are raving about the fun there is to enjoy on Wymer Lake. Here is a classic scene of what to expect at your stay at Karinall. Kids enjoy kayaking, paddleboating, splashing on the lilly pad or casting a line off the dock. Or, rent out our pontoon for a cruise around the lake. Try your hand at stand-up paddleboarding, or just dip your toes in the water at the end of the dock. You'll love Wymer Lake's clean, sandy bottom and above-average water clarity. It's all right here.
7.17.2019 Live Music on Wymer Lake!!
This Saturday, 7/20/19, the "Warehouse Corner" on Wymer Lake will feature live music from the band The Front Fenders, which is only about a three-minute walk from Karinall Estate! The Fenders bring their eclectic, crowd-interactive style of entertainment to Wymer, at no cost other than a free-will donation. There will be an ice-cream truck from 6pm-8pm, and the Lakes Area Food Truck will be onsite all evening selling burgers, fries, cheese curds and more. The event is BYOB, and all are invited. Don't miss this awesome evening of music, dancing, and a chance to meet some of the folks who call Wymer Lake home. We look forward to seeing you there!
7.22.2019 Turkey Days Week - Frazee's Town Festival!
The biggest weekend of the summer is upon us here in Frazee. It's the 65th annual Turkey Days Festival! Celebrated the last weekend of July each year, the streets are buzzing with things to do from Thursday through Sunday. The town comes alive with a kick-off party Thursday night at the VFW, and Friday through Sunday you'll find all kinds of fun for the family like car shows, a bean bag tournament, Turkey bingo, a sandcastle contest, fishing tournaments, a demo derby, street dances, food vendors, water fights, the Miss Frazee pageant, and a parade. Enjoy our signature food at the Turkey luncheon, try to crack the case of the "Mystery Gobbler," or assemble a team for the golf scramble. It's the best weekend of year, see you there!
7.24.2019 Mountain Biking on Detroit Mountain!
Are you into Mountain Biking by chance? Detroit Mountain (about 10 minutes from Karinall) offers an exhilarating experience like none other in the area! Rent a bike or bring your own, and experience a gravity-fed ride down twists and turns as you descend through wooded paths down Detroit Mountain. Join a group ride or take the experience on yourself, you'll find all different skill levels enjoying the fun. Not into biking? There are also hiking and equestrian trails around the mountain area for those into something different. But if you're looking for a fun way to burn some calories and experience the great outdoors, head over to Detroit Mountain. Rates for biking can be found here.
8.1.2019 WE Fest!!!
As if we haven't crammed in enough fun in around here this summer, the biggest country music festival in the US takes place starting today, only 15 minutes away from Karinall Estate! WE Fest, started 37 years ago, remains an immensely popular staple of the Detroit Lakes area summer just south of town at the Soo Pass Ranch. Heading up to the 'Fest but don't want to worry about parking? Let us know and we'll arrange transportation for you! Come back to Karinall after the evening for a good night's sleep. Enjoy the lake all day before heading back up to the festival. We'll take care of the details for you.
8.6.2019 Vergas Looney Daze Weekend is Upon Us!
Summer is far from over here on Wymer Lake. As we enter August, the nearby lake-town of Vergas (7 miles away from Karinall), gears up for its annual festival, Looney Daze! Vergas, home of the World's Largest Loon, hosts a fun weekend each August full of activities for all ages. Some events include a "Miss Vergas" pagaent, a street fair, food vendors, bean bag tournament, road rally, water fights, a parade, and live music Friday and Saturday nights. This is one weekend you won't want to miss! Find a full schedule of events here.
8.7.2019 Becker County Fair is Underway!
August 7th-10th, in Detroit Lakes, the Becker County Fair is rolling! Who doesn't love walking through the Midway, taking in a few rides, eating some of that good fried food, and enjoying all the sights and sounds of a good old county fair? Check out the 4H exhibits, a demo derby, live entertainment, ferris wheels, and more! It all takes place just a block away from the lake in Detroit Lakes! Check out the list of events at this website.
8.19.2019 Heartland Trail, Otter Tail Tubing, and More!
Looking for something to explore around the area (if we haven't mentioned enough yet??) The Heartland Trail in nearby Park Rapids is a great way to spend an afternoon with the crew! Family-friendly and a great way to see nature, this bike trail follows an old converted train railway (now paved, mostly flat), from Park Rapids to Walker (about 30 miles), where the trail meets the Paul Bunyan Trail. From there you can head into Walker, north towards Bemidji or south to Brainerd. The trail meanders through small towns (check out Dorset, the "Restaurant Capital of the World," or the roadside attractions in Nevis and Akeley), over rivers, lakes, and through forests and green spaces. Bring your own bike or rent one there!
Maybe you'd like to just relax and float down a river? We've got that too! The Otter Tail River just north of Frazee about 10 minutes, provides a fun, 3-hour float down the scenic Otter Tail River, provided by Charlie's or K&K Tubing. For just a few bucks, bring the gang and rent inner tubes and cool off on a meandering journey down a gently-flowing, clean river with a cold beverage in hand.
How about something else to do with the kids? Check out Rockin' Waters Mini Golf just west of Detroit Lakes! This 18-hole course adjacent to Forest Hills Golf Course will bring out the kid in you as you putt around rocks, waterfalls, and other classic mini golf features. Grab some ice cream afterwards at the old schoolhouse building.
8.21.2019 - Ojibwe Forests Rally!
This weekend, starting Weds, Aug 21-Sat. Aug 24th, the annual Ojibwe Forest Rally takes place around the Detroit Lakes area! Spectators gather at Detroit Mountain to check out the Subaru race cars driven by the likes of Travis Pastrana (of MTV's Nitro Circus fame) and other pro racers as they head off around a course following the dirt roads of the area. There are other areas and events to gather and watch the cars speed through on the quest to the finish line. Click here for more info on the event.
We say it every year, but summer really just seems to fly by! It's one of those bittersweet truths of living in Minnesota. This coming holiday weekend is always a busy one around here. The lake will be busy with lake cabin folks enjoying the last weekend before school starts, and the local area is buzzing with great stuff going on. Over in Rollag (about 35 min away), the Steam Threshers Reunion takes place every Labor Day weekend since 1954. Come check out vintage and antique farm machinery in action, ride on a steam-powered train, check out log-cutting shows and plowing demonstrations. Tons of run for the whole family! Full schedule here.
8.31.2019 32 Below and Tripwire, Live in Vergas!
This Sunday, 9/1, Vergas is hosting its first-annual Open Air Ball Field Bash! Local rock bands 32 Below and Tripwire take the stage set up at the Vergas baseball fields. Both bands bring their signature styles of party music to a fun, outdoor, end-of-the-summer concert event only 5 minutes away from Karinall. You won't want to miss this one, come experience what is sure to be an amazing night as we send summer off in style! See you there!